I HAVE RETURNED!!! Why I've been quiet these past couple weeks, and an update on my next project

Yeah, I know. I said I would update at least once a week. Then Alien Pixels From Outer Space released, and no updates after that until now. The reason for this is that there just hasn't been much of note to talk about since then. I kind of took a break due to fatigue after the last push to get the game out. Well, I'm back to it, and about to start my next project. Sorry about not communicating that I was taking a break. I'm still a bit new to the whole blogging thing, and honestly forgot about it for a couple weeks. I'll make a better effort to keep you guys updated in the future.

My next project is based on something I made during a Ludum Dare in the Spring of 2017. I worked hard on it, but ended up with something that was really incomplete. The collision detection was terrible. It was either non-existent or objects were getting stuck on each other. Both of these extremes manifested themselves in the same build, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work properly. Well, I've grown a lot as a game programmer since then, and I wanted to re-visit this game and actually finish it. I'm rebuilding it from the ground up in the latest version of the Unity engine.

So the theme of the Ludum Dare that I worked on this game for was "A Small World." I saw a lot of people doing things like tiny people, ant farms, a small planet with a normal sized person on it, etc. I ended up settling on the concept of a world inside the human body. The game's current working title is Cell. You play as a white blood cell in the human body fighting off infections. Each infection is different, and you use different antibiotic pills to combat the infection corresponding to the pill color. Use red pills to fight red germs, blue pills for blue germs, green pills for green germs, etc. Since I don't know much about how white blood cells actually fight bacterial infections, I decided to use colors rather than actual diseases to match up which pills kill which germs. I figured it would still be intuitive, if a bit unrealistic. I mean, just look at Dr. Mario. Since when do vitamins kill viruses in real life? Also, for accessibility purposes, I'm going to try implementing a color blind mode so more people will actually be able to play this game. I've always felt that games should strive to be playable by anyone, regardless of if they have a physical impairment of some kind. I feel that a color blind mode is important due to colors being an important part of the gameplay.

Anyway, keep an eye out for future updates! Peace, love, and games! Or something. I'm rambling now.

Popular posts from this blog

Alien Pixels From Outer Space Released Early!

So, it's time to start this whole game dev blogging thing